Tuesday, December 19, 2017

2017 Fall December 19 Tuesday


52 degrees this morning, walk 35:20 minutes

Seemed cold for 52 degrees this morning, but it could be the humidity in the air and that I dressed lighter when I saw the temperature.

Last night we were at a Christmas party where someone mentioned a mountain lion had been spotted.  Although this area is several miles away, I still maintained some additional vigilance during my walk this morning!  I”m not quite sure what a mountain lion would do, but I don’t want to find out.

It could be a case where “it is more scared of you than you are of it”, but, I wouldn’t depend on it!

It is always good to be vigilant anyway. 

Pace was 16 seconds slower than my goal.  

Since my thoughts yesterday morning about “stereotyping” or allowing preconceived thoughts to guide you, I noticed how much I predicate my actions based on what I “expect” someone else to do.  

I can’t really come up with a percentage, but I expect a high percentage of your actions are based on expectations.  For example, I am assuming that other cars will stop at red lights, restaurants will have food, etc.

Of course, I think realistically there is a a lot of difference between the “preconceived notions”  of expectations about daily life and the preconceived scientific thoughts about the universe etc!  

I expect a key to the entire process is maintaining your curiosity about the world and thinking of different solutions to problems rather than repeating what has failed before! 

I have a small book where I have been recording my weight since 3-22-2000.  Depending on what date I look at it is either depressing or enjoyable to review!  Actually there are long spaces where I didn’t record anything.

I was thinking during my walk about a person I used to know who called themselves a “optimistic pessimist”.  

The theory was if they thought the worst would happen, they would be pleased with anything that wasn’t the worst!  

I never could quite get involved in that concept.  I think I need to be aware of negative things that could happen, but somehow expecting the worst while assuming the worst won’t happen, but being happy if the worst doesn’t happen?   

Personally, I think I would rather anticipate the best result and be disappointed occasionally than to expect the worst and be  pleased if the worst doesn’t happen!


That’s it for now,  Tuesday, December 19, 2017.   

No comments: