Wednesday, November 29, 2017

2017 Fall November 29 Wednesday


2017 Fall November 29 Wednesday

47 degrees this morning, light rain, no walk.

Happy 18th Birthday to Kali, my Granddaughter!  How time does fly!  A really special birthday to a really special person.  

As I mentioned last week, the Nest Support sent me a replacement thermostat.  This was last Thursday, November 23.

It was “2 day shipping” on FedEx.  The scheduled delivery (which I don’t really believe) is now Thursday at 8:00 p.m.

I was surprised when I found that the original scheduled delivery was 8:00 p.m. Tuesday.  2 day shipping?  I checked on the Tracker and it was actually just leaving Memphis at 8:00 p.m. Tuesday.  

It seems that something like a thermostat in Winter would assume more importance.  As noted, fortunately  I had a second  thermostat  and the faulty one started working again!

Of course, I have long disliked FedEx for their sneaky fees, poor service and high costs. They have lost contact with their original mission.

Not that United Parcel Service is any better, they arbitrarily changed delivery an important item from  “guaranteed” Friday  delivery  to a Monday, and only suddenly found they delivered on a Saturday to this area after I called them about it.

So far the United States Parcel Service looks great compared to the two private delivery companies for decent service, reasonable cost and customer care.  Most of the time USPS items arrive before they are due and they don’t respond to complaints or questions with a shrug of indifference.  

I was disappointed in Nest that the thermostat didn’t ship until Saturday, 2 days after I contacted them, or it could be that that is when FedEx got around to picking it up even if hey had the package ready Thursday.

That is one reason I think we need to be cautious about “privatization” of public services.  You really don’t have a lot of control over high costs, sneaky fees, poor service etc.  (I am talking about the local level for the most part, although delivery is a national service.)  

On the other hand, I am a strong proponent of competition, so maybe competition will take care of FedEx and UPS.

Didn’t really mean to make this entire post on delivery service, but I guess that is on my mind! 


That’s it for now, Wednesday, November 29, 2017.

No comments: