Friday, November 10, 2017

2017 Fall November 10 Friday



41 degrees this morning,  walk 35:43 minutes

Again, cold this morning, but still a nice walk

Pace was 19 seconds slower than my goal. 

Today is Veterans Day Holiday (observed, of course Veterans Day is actually tomorrow).  This starts the “period of Holidays”, eight of 11 Holidays over the next 3 months, 6 in the next two months, really a month and one half.

As I have mentioned previously I like Holidays since everyone knows you aren’t working. 

It’s a little different now that I work only 40 hours per week and aren’t responsible 24 hours per day, 7 days a week, but I still enjoy Holidays.

Listening to a “Great Course” on “Utopias and Dystopias”.  I find it includes discussion of books I have read, but also many I haven’t read that I will have to read.  

One especially I want to read (actually a short story by Philip Dick that was made into a movie “Minority Report”).  Looking at the internet, he wrote an amazing number of novels and short stories, many made into moves I have heard of but never seen.  

What is concerning about the summary of the Course on “Utopias and Dystopias” is that so many of the characteristics are prevalent in today’s’ world.  All powerful corporations that actually are considered super-rich “persons” with unlimited funds to bribe unethical politicians, a lying coward  lunatic who actually has supporters who actually support him in spite of his lies and try to justify “double-talk” and “alternative facts” and  cowardly abusive use of power for low class personal attacks and self-aggrandizement etc.

For better or worse, the technology now exists that can actually make many of the Dystopias and totalitarian government (along with the sheep like thinking of many of the lying coward  lunatic’s supporters) possible.  

Along with that is a general lack of ethics by many businesses and politicians and available technology you have a recipe for many of the dystopia literature becoming reality. 

Learned about an “ad block” program that I am going to try to install today.  As I mentioned recently the internet ads have gotten so disruptive it is impossible to read many web pages.  Hopefully this will enable me to start looking at some of my favorite sites again. 

I am transferring my personal iPhone over to a replacement phone (the same type) so now is a good time to try to install the ad block program.

I am dreading having to transfer to another phone (now complicated by the iWatch), but i expect it will go fine.  

Plan on enjoying the holiday and the three day weekend!


That’s it for now, Friday, November 10, 2017.

No comments: