Tuesday, August 08, 2017

2017 Summer August 8 Tuesday

2017 Summer August 8 Tuesday

70 degrees this morning, Walk 34:29 miles

Thought it would feel “cool” this morning, but actually is very pleasant.  Sitting out on patio and not uncomfortable (on the cool side) at all.

Glad to get back to walking this morning.  Pace was 3 seconds faster than my goal, so I am meeting my goal on a regular basis. Maybe time to move it up!

On the other hand, I don’t really see anything wrong with meeting a goal and being satisfied with it.  I guess the key if I am satisfied with my goal and reaching my goal.  That I don’t know yet. 

Felt somewhat ancient, in a nice way, when I was asked a question about Toastmasters by a beginning Toastmaster last night.  (The question was “what was the most important action to take for a member of Toastmasters to get the most out of the club”.)   

Good question, and I hope right person to ask it of.  I think he had just heard I have been in Toastmasters for a while, which hardly qualifies me as an expert, but does provide some qualifications to speak about it.  

However, I think I advised him correctly, which was to “do it” so to speak, speak as often as you can, be an Officer so you can learn that aspect, take advantage of the opportunity to speak and act in the supportive atmosphere of Toastmasters, where everyone has the same objective.  Whatever you do, don’t become a “get a round tuit” member.  

I own’t go into to positive aspects of Toastmasters, like anything you get out of it what you put into it, but in most clubs it is a wonderful organization.  If you don’t like the club you’re in, try another one!   

I actually enjoy being asked questions like that, I guess one of the fulfilling parts of getting older, or as a friend used to say “experienced”.  

Listening to the “Great Course” about the Industrial Revolution, the book mentioned that two aspects of the Industrial Revolution were:

-The belief that any problem could be solved; and

-The belief that any invention was a transition to a new invention and would be superseded by something cheaper and better!

Some things never change!  

I think these two concepts are major building blocks of our entire system and a strong belief that obviously has continued to be a major factor for several hundred years! 

Another bit of information that surprised me is that actually bicycle groups (they were called “Wheelmen) were instrumental in supporting better roads, more so even than cars in the late 1890’s.

The book also goes into the history of Henry Ford a little, which makes me realize what a visionary he really was.

I always wonder if one person (such as Henry Ford, Edison, Rockefeller Tesla, Lincoln etc.) didn’t step up, would someone else have come along with as good or a better idea?  I guess we will never know. 

I also always wonder, if the wheel hadn’t been invented, would flying machines have been invented much sooner and would it have been better overall?  

Such are my thoughts in my early morning!


That’s it for now, Tuesday, August 8, 2017.

No comments: