Tuesday, August 01, 2017

2017 Summer August 1 Tuesday

2017 Summer August 1 Tuesday

76 degrees this morning, walk 34:20 minutes 

Walk this morning was relatively cool, light sprinkles of rain.  I thought I was walking fast so I could get back in case it started raining, but my pace was only 6 seconds below my goal time.

Thinking about what I would do if it suddenly started raining hard.  The idea of running isn’t really attractive at this time (it has been along time since I have actually ran, probably the last time it started raining while I was walking).  

I decided if it started raining I would go into a very fast walk!  Fortunately it didn’t start raining to any great degree, started sprinkling more aggressively, so to speak, as I was finishing up my walk.

Still, it didn’t rain any more so I am sitting on my patio. I know what a few drops of rain (or coffee) can do to a computer, so I don’t stay in the rain.  

One thing we really miss about this house (actually the only major thing) is a covered patio.  I don’t really understand why they didn’t put one on when they built the house.  

Experience yesterday indicates the true “class” of Starbucks etc.  One time, the Starbucks computers were “down’ and they didn’t even charge us for our coffee.  Not that I expect it, but, it is a nice gesture.

Also, when you redeem a “rewards" at Starbucks, they  always make the most expensive item your “free’ item.  Again, not necessarily expected, but it shows class  

By comparison at Panera Bread yesterday, I asked about redeeming a free sandwich and they advised me the “computers were down’ so they couldn’t do it.  Not only that, but they didn’t give any “reward” points on our purchases.  Again, not really expected, it was a very small thing, but Starbucks certainly comes through as the company with class.

Since I have been started having to take “lunch” time when I am in the field (I don’t really eat lunch as such, i just take the time since I have too), I have been debating the advantages of Starbucks and Panera Bread, since both are in my area, in fact in one location are one block from each other.  

It is much easier to get into Panera Bread, Starbucks is always a problem, except in the mall location.  Advantage to Panera 

Starbucks makes you pay for refills (although I get mine free since I am a “Gold member”), Panera you can swill all you want and get your own refills.  Advantage to Panera.

Starbucks has a much better rewards program or at least more open about how it works, advantage to Starbucks.

For me the coffee is almost a draw, both stores have relatively good coffee, Starbucks has a much more of a selection, so advantage to Starbucks.  I just drink basic iced or hot coffee, so it doesn’t matter to me.

Food-hard to say again, Starbucks has come a long way in the food department if I eat there.  For me, it is a draw, although Panera Bread obviously has more of a variety  

Panera Bread, you really can’t roll out your computer and paper and work from 11 am. to 2 p.m., so advantage to Starbucks.  

Starbucks has many more locations, plus a mall location, so advantage to Starbucks.  

Overall atmosphere and class go to Starbucks.  

I have actually been thinking about this for some time and it was good to just lay out my thinking on this.  Obviously if you like other than basic coffee, and you want coffee, you go to Starbucks.  If you want more variety in your food and want food, you go to Panera Bread!.  If you want both, I'm not sure what you do!

For me, location is the major factor.  


That’s it for now, Tuesday, August 1, 2017

No comments: