Tuesday, December 06, 2016

2016 Fall December 6 Tuesday



43 degrees this morning, walk 35:53 minutes 

As I was walking this morning, the cold north wind suddenly kicked in, and I was glad I was walking south at the time!  I had forgotten how cold the north wind was in winter, even when it is relatively mild out 

Each season I think about how we adjust to the season.  In the height of summer, this temperature would be freezing (and vice versa).  

The “Nest” Thermostat has been working well.  Still learning about it.  

I still have decided if the Thermostat “learns” from your actions first or from the settings.  

For example, if I set it to go to (for example) 68 degrees at 10:30 p.m., and up to 75 degrees at 3 a.m., but I actually turn it to 70 degrees at 10:15 p.m. and up to 77 degrees at 3:20 a.m., which will it learn from?

It appears to say it will “learn” from my actual changes, but in that case, I wonder why you even have a schedule?  Also, I am puzzled by how it will know when to change the  temperature if I change it at (for example) 70 degrees at 10:15 p.m. one night, 68 degrees at 10 35 p.m. another night and 72 degrees at 10 p.m. on another night?

It seems like it would eventually drive it into a frenzy of indecision, but I am sure something is built into it that it “learns” only certain sequences.  

I’m glad someone else programs these things!  

I started wondering because I would see the Next Thermostat make small changes to temperatures I hand’t set (for example, it would change from 77 to 72 to 74 to 77 etc.  I figured I had confused it somehow, but I’m not sure how.

Like anything, it will start to make sense as I observe it and learn about it.  Actually it sounds like a good question for tech support, although the answer is probably in the manual (as to how it learns to adjust temperature) or somewhere on the internet.

Somehow I had the impression that it “learned” to adjust the heat based on when you were home, but that doesn’t make any sense since  it would have no concept of how warm or cool you wanted it.

One neat thing it does is send you a distress call if you house starts to get too cold (so pipes won’t freeze etc.).  It won’t do it for hot weather.  You can adjust it as you like, slough the default is around 36 degrees.

Listening to my the book on “Great American Literature”.  He is currently on William Faulkner, “The Sound and the Fury”.   Again, I didn’t read near as much into it as there apparently is, although it has been a long time since I have read it.

One quote that sticks in my mind (and I don’t even recall what context it was used) is the quote that “like riding in a convertible, but sitting backwards and watching only the rear view”.

I think it referred to Faulkner’s view of the South at that time, but no matter, it is still a very interesting and visual quote.


That’s it for now, Tuesday, December 6, 2016.

No comments: