Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Jackson Tennessee

At a Doubletree in Jackson, Tennessee. Four years ago, in Harrah, Oklahoma, I would never have imagined myself in Jackson, Tennessee.

Tennessee is a wonderful state, but very unusual in that it has three sections and three entirely different cultures.

-West Tennessee-(Memphis/Lakeland)-Blues

-Middle Tennessee-(Nashville)-Country Western

-East Tennessee (Knoxville)-More of a bluegrass music.

What is strange is that in Memphis there is one Country Music station, and absolutely no place for Country Western dancing. Nashville must have at least five or six Country Music stations and all kinds of places to dance. Walking through downtown Nashville is a wonderful experience.

I love fiddle/violin music (I even played the fiddle/violin for about 10 years. I stopped when I moved to Lakeland in 2001 because I lost my fiddle teacher and I really didn't have the time.

My mother used to tell me that even when I was a baby I was fascinated by fiddle/violin music and would listen with rapt attention anytime I heard a violin. It is still my favorite instrument (in any kind of music) now.

I don't know that much about eastern Tennessee. Pigeon Forge is a trash town (I call it Pigeon S***). Gatlinburg is kind of fun the first or second time. Don't know much about Knoxville. Chattenooga (probably mispelled) is kind of enjoyable, but I don't know much about it.

I can see how Tennessee gets in your blood, especially if you are a native Tennessean.

No comments: