Saturday, March 26, 2005

Donations at stores

One minor pet peeve is the stores (around here, such as Walgreens and Citgo), who ask you to “donate a dollar for a charity” (of course, their charity).

I figure I can decide who I donate my money to. I really believe Walgreens and Citgo make enough money, why don’t THEY donate to their favorite charity and let me donate to mine, instead of begging money at the register and trying to embarrass you into “donating”? (How even do we REALLY know if the money actually makes it to the charity?)

Personally, I try to leave an extra dollar or so to the hard working food servers. I could never be a waiter and I admire their ability to get things right while keeping in a reasonably good mood for such low pay. They do a great job for low pay.

In fact, it is amazing that the caretakers of the things we value most (our food and our children) are paid so little!

No comments: