Wednesday, March 08, 2017

2017 Winter March 8 Wednesday


43 degrees this morning.  No walk.

Didn’t walk, sore throat, probably from medical procedure yesterday, but didn’t want to take a chance on making it worse.

Surprised to suddenly realize that my chronic cough of almost two years suddenly stopped when I had to fast (well, a liquid diet) Monday.  This was after eating fairly lightly on Sunday.

It would be wonderful if I could get rid of the chronic cough, and if I have to eat less to accomplish that, will that is  double benefit!

Over the last few months, I have looked at the Internet and found that GERD can cause coughing.  I tried eating less (at least less food at one time) and noticed that my cough changed, it got a lot better but it still hung on.  

I already had some question since I quit Prevacid (I believe) about 10 years ago since it lowered my immune system.  I quit it “cold turkey” and coughed all over the place, especially when I drink carbonated beverages or high fat food.  

Of course I quit drinking carbonated beverages, my last one was probably ten years ago, maybe more.  I quit drinking them and after about 3 months had one to “celebrate”, and started coughing and haven’t had one since.

Switched to Tagamet, which worked well and then about 2 years ago, my Doctor felt there were some things about Tagamet which could create problems so I went off it.  My coughing started (I thought it was related to dust) and hasn’t stopped since, although it has gone through phases.  

This also lends a lot of credence to a book I recent read (and am now re-reading) about “fasting”  on a limited basis.  

Talking to my Doctor about how to proceed with determining if “GERD” is the problem for the cough, I’m sure it is. I expect I will need to take a “barium test” (or close to that).

I am also quite sure some of the coughing is caused by “exercise induced asthma” and reaction to cold air, but I can deal with that.

It would be wonderful to be able to ride my bike again without it starting a coughing fit.  If I lose weight that would be a bonus.

I am glad the “medical test” is over.  I have to do it again in 5 years rather than ten years, but 5 years is still 5 years!  Sometimes you just do what you have to do.

Interesting news about how you someone can “spy” on you from smart tv’s, phones etc.  Maybe as they say, paranoia may be right!  On the other hand, I have to wonder who would really care what I do an a daily basis!  

Another Apple product I have come to really value is my “Air Buds”.  They are really great.  I realize there are probably other products just as good or better, but these are really great.  

While there are some Apple products that are true duds, the Air Buds are a marvel of simplicity.  Kind of like the first  iPhone I got, I first looked at the iPod version and marveled at how intuitive it was and went ahead and bought the iPhone.  

The iWatch isn’t quite as intuitive, but it is really excellent, as I have expressed numerous times.  The Air Buds have been wonderful for my work, since they leave my hands free.  I know there are similar products but these are the first that  truly worked well, at least for me.  


That’s it for now, Wednesday, March 8, 2017.

No comments: