Thursday, March 02, 2017

2017 Winter March 2 Thursday


31 degrees this morning, 35:43 minute walk

Winter weather has returned, I surprised to wake up to 31 degree weather!

Walk was ok anyway, I dressed for the cold  Pace was about 19 seconds per mile slower than expected.  

Today marks 2 years and 9 months since we moved, 2 years 7 months in my job.  

Still marking the time in months, even if years and months, I wonder when the month will kind of slide into memory and it just becomes the years that are counted?

As it has been since we moved, it has seemed endless and yet seemed a short time.  

Planning on attending the “Neighborhood Alliance” meeting this Saturday.  Give me a chance to learn about the community.  They are having it Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m.  I don’t know if that is a good time (early on Saturday morning) but I expect they have found it works, people probably want to go early and get it done.

Agism continues to appear to flourish.  One of the persons who supports the “chicken ordinance” was saying that the City Council was “too old” and didn’t reflect the age of the community   She sounds like she is the one who has the problem.  

Perhaps older people have the wisdom to know when some spoiled bully is trying to push her way around without any concern for her neighbors.  

I really don’t know what “age” has to do with you wanting a bunch of chickens next door, except that they have the wisdom to know most people don’t want a bunch of chickens next to them, or at least have some kind of controls.  

It sounds like the chicken supporter has a major problem, both with stereotypes and with blaming others for her own problems.  

I decided I am not going to stand around and ignore Agism any more than I would stand around and ignore discriminatory talk about other stereotyped groups.  

I have found that, for the most part, people don’t believe Ageism exists.  Believe me, anyone who is older know it does, or will experience it.   

Kind of like riding a bicycle,  there are only bicyclists who have fallen and those who are going to!

Anyway, I was surprised (knowing the local paper I shouldn’t have been surprised)  that the reporter quoted her Ageism quotes without any challenges, I can imagine the outrage if she had said the same thing about race, gender or national origin!  

I’m debating whether to respond to the news article in some way, probably won’t, but if she says it around me I will certainly challenge it.  

I noted that “Agism” can also be spelled “Ageism” .  Must be a reason it can be spelled two different ways!

What is strange is that a large part of the group of “supporters” were older people, which I guess shows her ignorance. 

That’s it for now, Thursday, March 2, 2017.


No comments: