Thursday, November 17, 2016

2016 Fall November 17 Thursday


65 degrees this morning, walk 36:23 minutes

Temperature has varied wildly the past several weeks, 65 degrees this morning.  I really didn’t know how to dress for my walk!  

It actually got up to 87 degrees yesterday so it is just as difficult to decide how to dress during the day, although from about 50 degrees to 115 degrees, I dress about the same , at least for work anyway.

High wind this morning, which probably partially accounts for the relatively slow walk time, although most of the time it didn’t bother me.  I  may have just been slow this morning for whatever reason. 

Today is my Dad’s birthday.  He would have been 110 years old if he was still living.   

The “Lectures on Great American Literature” audio I am listening to started this morning on Stephen Crane and  “The Red Badge of Courage”.  

Of course I had read that several  times.  In fact, it was the first complete book I ever read on an iPhone and that was on an iPhone 3, so it has been a while.  

The Red Badge of Courage is a “public domain” book.

For some reason I didn’t know (or remember) that he had written short stories.  He died at what seems a young age (29) to have accomplished so much.  He died of TB. 

I’m not sure when I first read the book (probably an excerpt in a a literature book) but it had quite an impact on me.

He actually never fought in a war, and many veterans advised him The Red Badge of Courage had “gotten it right”.

I forgot to mention on Veterans Day, it was  30 years ago on Veterans Day, 1986 that I got my first “PC Compatible” desktop computer.  The sales person advised me I could “wait until I needed” a hard drive!  

I didn’t wait too long before I got a 10 MB hard drive, which everyone felt was big!  

I’m not sure what I thought about the future of computing, but I was happy with the size of the herd drive I had.  For then, it was ok.

For some reason this season seems to be the time I buy “milestone” computers.  I bought my first laptop on Christmas Eve and my first Apple computer shortly after Thanksgiving.  

While science fiction forecast what we have not, I’m not sure if I really believed I would see it

There is still a lot of work to be done, there are too many problems  with computers, phones and the internet etc.

I haven’t researched more apps on the iWatch.  I continue to learn the basics of it  
I think one of the  real values of it is the “tapping” it makes on your wrist to remind you etc.  It also is easy to send short text messages on it.  I hope to find a “sleep app” and a “pulse app” that looks reliable and not too hard to learn.  

It also is surprising how soon you get used to just looking at your wrist for the temperature etc!


That’s it for now, Thursday, November 17, 2016.

No comments: