Sunday, December 19, 2010

Bestbuy: An example of Corporate arrogance and fees


Over the past several weeks especially, and the past 1 1/2 years in general, I have discovered that Bestbuy does not honor its "protection plan", has extremely poor "customer service" and is interested mainly in sticking it's customers with additional fees and charges. In addition Bestbuy does not honor it's installation guarantee.

Just yesterday, at attempt was made to charge a $109 "service fee" in spite of the fact the service call was necessary due to improper installation by Bestbuy.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone and was advised different items such as "the computer was down" to "they aren't answering" (other departments in Bestbuy). Finally they advised I would be on hold for at least another 15 minutes and I advised them to call me. Of course, that is what they wanted and they never called back.

On the Service Fee, I called Friday and advised of the problem. In this case, we are covered both by their "protection plan" and their "installation guarantee" of one year (both I found are worthless).

I carefully explained that both Bestbuy and Comcast have charged nuisance "service calls" in the past and I wanted to know if there was going to be a service charge. She advised 'the service tech would ADVISE ME IN ADVANCE of any charges. Of course, at the end of the call the service tech gave me a bill for $109 and is now harassing me for payment. Of course, I will pay it and immediately protest the charge as fraud.

I am also planning on notifying the Tennessee Attorney General of the lack of Bestbuy to honor its "protection plan" and "installation guarantee" and asking if this violates consumer protection laws.

Bestbuy was also very misleading when we bought the items. We excused it as us not asking the right questions, but now I feel like it was deliberate misleading and it is a part of their corporate culture.

Another lesson learned. We actually purchase most of our appliances etc. from Sears just because we are pleased with their warranty performance. We should have done so this time also!




No comments: