Thursday, July 09, 2009

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Aliene is having her back surgery today. This all started February 11 with severe pain in her leg. Of course at the time, we had no idea it was back problems, actually sciatic nerve pain.

The Doctor determined the problem was a "ruptured disc" in her back. Several "nerve block" shots didn't help and physical therapy helped her deal with the pain, but only on a temporary basis.

After several "events" dealing with leg pain and weakness, Aliene was only too glad to schedule surgery as early as she could get it. The day is finally here.

Surgery seems to be somewhat like a death in the family in that time suddenly seems to lose meaning and time becomes timeless, so to speak. What is normally important becomes unimportant for a brief time.

I noticed this is especially true for funerals of family members and I have found if I don't accept the suspension of time and other concerns, I regret it later.

My Mom, who passed away almost 12 years ago (that it was 12 years ago is almost impossible to believe) is what I think of when I think about this. For over a week, I worked with my brothers and sisters on all aspects of our Mother's death.

On the day of her death, my Mom called all of us children, friends she hadn't talked to for years and other family members. I know she would have enjoyed the funeral services, from the fact the Preacher was a Native American who took the time and had the empathy and ability to provide a sense of her life as well as her religious beliefs (hef Father was a preacher) to the fact that it was a sunny day and the group of people, while mourning her passing, also talked about her life and remembered how she touched peoples lives.

I can remember as a child how my Mom (the daughter of a Minister) would ask people she had just met to Sunday dinner and was always interested in their stories.

Anyway, Aliene is ready for her operation. We trust the Doctor and I am looking forward t the surgery being successful.

No comments: