Sunday, July 12, 2009

Summer of 2009 (continued)

I am surprised that I have become an avid bird watcher. They are amazing to watch. The squirrels who stop by (and who I try my best to keep out of the bird feeder) are also amusing to observe.

Due to a raccoon, possum (or opossum, I'm never sure about that) I have to bring the bird feeder in at night and anytime we are out of town. One of the few times my thoughts turn capital punishment, but I guess the raccoon/possum/opossum is just doing what they do and it would continue to be a problem.

It seems after a while of bringing the feeder in, the critter seems to forget about it, but I decided not to take the chance anymore.

I could check the Internet and see what the difference is between a "possum" and "opossum" (if any), but it is more fun to wonder about it!

My first experience with a possum/opossum was several years ago when my daughter was staying with me with two dogs. She woke me at 4:00 a.m. with news that the dogs had treed (or rather "fenced") an animal.

I took my trusty Arkansas Walking Stick (that I still use on my morning walks) and poked the critter and it snarled at me! Enough of that, I backed off and it finally sulked away.

I bought the "Arkansas Walking Stick" in Arkansas for $5.00, probably one of the best buys I have ever made. It supplemented a walking stick (actually a shillelagh) I purchased an an estate auction in 1973. Supposedly shillelagh belonged to an 93 year old man and it had belonged to his Grandfather, but I have learned that such things can be exaggerated.

While looking up how to spell "shillelagh", I noticed a large assortment of walking sticks on the Internet. It might be interesting to get another walking stick or two!

No comments: