Monday, August 20, 2007

August travels


A busy week. Aliene and her mother flew to Nashville, I met them. (Due to Northwest pricing, it is impossible to fly directly into Memphis. Northwest charges excessive fares into Memphis, just because Memphis is a “hub” and it is put it to Memphis residents. It ought to be illegal. For example, Northwest charges $400 to fly from Oklahoma City to Memphis, and $200 to fly from Oklahoma City to Little Rock-on a flight that lands IN MEMPHIS! Thank goodness for Southwest. I have no sympathy for Nothwest when it declares bankruptcy again-they deserve it. What a ripoff.). Hopefully some other airlines will start flying through Memphis and keep Northwest honest and quit ripping off Memphis residents. For example, if you are going to Orlando or Denver now, you can get decent fares since Frontier is here.

We took Aliene’s mother to the “Grand Old Opry”, since she had never been there before and had always wanted to attend.

We then went to Lawrenceburg where Aliene’s and her mother visited a relative. We had lunch at the “Square 40” cafĂ© in Lawrenceburg which had some good Southern cooking! They had pictures on the wall signed by President Bush and Harold Ford who had eaten there.

I also visited “Davey Crockets” home. He grew up in this area. I can remember he was my hero when I was a child and I was part of the Davey Crocket craze in the 50’s .

We went to Lakeland for several days and then took Aliene’s mother back to OKC. I figure I drove over 1600 miles in that week! We had a lot of fun.

While in OKC, we were in part of the storm from the hurricane. While we weren’t “in the eye”, we were close to where it was. We were glad to get out of the area safety Sunday.

We celebrated Katherine’s 5th birthday and my 60th in OKC and returned home Sunday. As always, traveling is fun, but it is nice to get home!

I am still watching the podcast on “Mount Everest”. They are now actually climbing Mount Everest. It is an interesting series.

No comments: