Saturday, June 23, 2007

Suddenly it’s Summer

June 21 is my favorite day (longest day of sunlight and the beginning of Summer). Unfortunately, it also marks the time that the days will start to get shorter and Winter is coming! Of course, I can’t allow myself to dwell on that, I just enjoy the Summer.

I had hoped to be bicycling longer by now, but time and safety are always factors. So far, my neighborhood is interesting enough I haven’t gotten bored with my hour or so bike ride, and I just don’t like the odds of trying to ride on some of the streets near me. While the highway by the addition has “bike lanes”, the speed limit is 55 mph, which is kind of intimidating. Also, I can’t get across the highway (a five lane road) because of the traffic. I am glad I have a safe neighborhood to ride in and right now I would have a problem finding time for riding more than an hour or so a day anything. At least the sun is up enough now I can ride after work. During the Winter, I feel lucky to ride 30-45 minutes.

I am thinking of riding early morning, but then I miss my time with the newspaper, reading and catching up on work!

Aliene and I are looking forward to hosting the Courter Reunion (the 60th if I am figuring right) in July! This will be the first Courter Reunion ever held in Tennessee!

Summer always seems to go so fast (and Winter always seems to drag!) so I really enjoy the climate in Lakeland.

I don’t want to waste any of the sunlight, so I’ll quit for now!

No comments: