Friday, June 15, 2007

The Innocent Man

John Grisham, The Innocent Man

This book illustrates what I consider the horrible example of Police Officers and Prosecutors and how some of them can develop mindsets of “win at any cost”. The book documents lying, framing, setup, the “good old boy/girl” network (including the residents) that allowed innocent persons to go to jail and almost be put to death.

Looking back, I sometimes wonder about some of the Police Officers working for me and if they had the same mindset.

This book probably affected my actual view of City Management as much as any book or session. I consider one of a City Managers’ primary objectives is to insure that services are provided consistently and fairly and that the “power” of the City not be misused.

The book documents gross, gross abuse of office by Police Officers, Judges, Prosecutors, and even the residents. What is REALLY frightening is that some of them are still in office, even after documentation of gross misconduct!

I had to ask myself numerous times throughout the book-Where were the Police Chief, the City Manager, the residents...?

What controls can we use to insure this doesn’t happen in "our" city?

No comments: