Sunday, June 17, 2007

1000 miles on my bike!

Saturday, June 16, I just went over 1,000 miles on my “new” bike. (Just about a year old.) It is a milestone for me. I would like to start taking longer rides on an occasional basis. That 1,000 miles is all daily rides of from 7 to 12 miles per day, usually averaging about 11 miles per hour. I would prefer more, but that is what it is. Based on my miles per hour average, that is approximately 100 hours on the bike.

I plan on starting taking longer rides and hope to ride in one of the multi-day rides in the next several years. Of course, I have a hard time finding the time for longer rides, primarily because there is no safe routes for me to take longer rides. I could drive to another area, but that drastically incrases the time.

I am thinking of riding in the morning right after I walk. I rarely miss a walk, because I walk from 3:30 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. just after I get up. Of course, I have my morning routine (read the paper, get some work done, read something I normally wouldn’t read fro at least 15 minutes etc.) that I would miss if I rode my bike for an hour after my walk each morning.

Lately I have been waking up at 3:00 a.m. but I decided that is just too early to get up! I always take a nap before I go to work, but I expect getting up at 3:00 a.m. is just pushing it too far!

In the meantime, I enjoy my short daily rides. I ride a little longer in Summer and in the winter I just try to grind out a few miles so I stay in shape! I really enjoy it and maybe the short rides of an hour or so is what is right for me at the present time.

No comments: