Tuesday, October 03, 2017

2017 Fall October 3 Tuesday

2017 Fall October 3 Tuesday

75 degrees this morning, walk 35:10 minutes

Windy this morning, making even 75 degrees seems somewhat cool, although it wasn’t that strong of a wind that it was an unpleasant walk.

Pace was 17 seconds slower than my goal.  The wind may have been a factor or just one of those days.  

What surprises me about the “pace” is that it is a “per mile” time, so when I am 17 seconds slower than my goal, I actually am 17 seconds times the number of miles.  It puzzles me that my pace would differ by as much as 30 seconds a mile, although it actually differs by an average range of around 20 seconds per mile.

I still am debating changing my “goal”.  There is no use having a goal I can’t or won’t meet.  I was going to say I don’t want to have a goal that I always meet, although there is nothing wrong with that, now that I think about it.

Depends on how you define “goal” or what you expect from a “goal”. 

Learned about the “wind” in this state yesterday and why we cough so much more here than we did in Memphis.

Apparently the wind carries all kinds of mold, debris and grass and trees pollen (and whatever else) from a long ways.  My Doctor told us yesterday “samples” of wind have found pollen from trees which only grow in Arizona!  

As I mentioned previously, I watched “Dowton Abbey” while I was in Starbucks, while stationary cycling etc.  

After I finished that series (very enjoyable) I watched some junk movies and then I started watching the series “the Sopranos” an HBO series about a mafia family.  Why I started watching it, I don’t know, I literally never watch regular shows or series on tv.  

Actually the last series I watched on tv was “Hill Street Blues” , which ended probably 30 years ago.  I still remember it with affection, although I”m sure things have changed so much (cell phones, computers, cultural etc.) I wouldn’t care for it even if I could find to stream, which I’m sure I could.

Anyway, the idea of the “normal”  life of mafia kind of intrigued me, including the fact the “Boss” sees a therapist.  

I am about on the 3rd season, actually almost done with the 3rd season.   While the jarring difference in their life was rather interesting, some of the needless and excessive violence is rather disturbing. Of course, I have to keep reminding myself that it is fiction, probably designed to appeal to the lowest violent impulses in people without losing the audience.  

Of course one of the “sidebars” on the background on the Sopranos (I’m watching it on Amazon Prime, which is another story) noted that one of the purposes of the producers was to just create such a reaction to the casual violence.  


That’s it for now, Tuesday, October 3, 2017. 

No comments: