Tuesday, October 10, 2017

2017 Fall October 10 Tuesday

2017 Fall October 10 Tuesday

50 degrees this morning, walk 34:39 minutes

Obviously cool his morning.  At first I thought the wind was blowing, making it a  lot cooler, but I only noticed it several times during my walk.

I thought at first I had not prepared well for the coolness, but soon felt comfortable or even hot.  

Of course, soon 50 degrees will seem “warm”!  

This year I am making good on my promise to go to someplace warm in the middle of winter.  I am looking forward to it already!  

Pace was 4 seconds slower than my goal this morning.  It appears like my time is basically in the range of my goal on a regular basis.  Now I need to decide if I want to keep the same goal or adopt a new goal (faster pace).

In an organization I belong to, the comment was made that a member wasn’t renewing their memberships because “they had met their goal for joining” 

I was rather taken aback by the comment, probably because the idea is completely foreign to me.  It seemed rather cold and calculating or perhaps opportunistic.  (I don’t mean these to be value judgements, there is no problem with someone being opportunistic, it just seems rather foreign to me in this type of organization.)

Thinking about it some more, I think my thinking is that I don’t join an organization  to meet preconceived “goals”.  

Rather I think I join an organization to expand my goals and perhaps find an incentive for new goals. I don’t think of an organization as a static point that I could say “I have met my preconceived goals” for joining it.  

Perhaps that says something about the organization, although I don’t feel it is that way.  I think to really feel that way, that organization is static and I would just take advantage of what I felt I needed and then leave, I”m not sure if I would join the organization in the first place.

I can understand more the thinking that an organization is no longer part of my priorities, or is no longer relevant to my life at the moment.  That is called growth and change and happens as life goes on.  

Many organizations simply become no longer relevant to your life and you go on.  

Even after thinking it through I don’t understand how someone could join an organization with some kind of static goal of what they will get out of it and then leave.  

Perhaps that type of thinking is another view of the world that I just can’t conceive.

October 10.  Anytime the month goes to “double digit” days, I begin to think of the month as partially gone and no longer a “new month”.  

As I frequently note, it is hard to believe that 2017 is actually winding down and soon we all be writing “2018”.  I think 2017 was a “yardstick” year in a lot of ways and while I knew it was coming, it is surprising it is here and I am actually the age I am, receiving full social security etc.


That’s it for now, Tuesday, October 10, 2017

No comments: