Sunday, September 27, 2009

September 27, 1997

Twelve years ago today I learned of my Mom's death. I think a parents death is something you always expect won't happen until it does.

September 27, 1997 was a Sunday, like September 27, 2009 and both days were cool and sunny, although I am now in Lakeland, Tennessee.

My Mom has spent Saturday calling her children (all seven of us) and many friends and relatives, so she apparently sensed what was to happen. She had called me and left a message, but when I called back she didn't answer the phone, so I assumed she was asleep and didn't hear the phone. When I called back the next morning and received no answer (well before she normally went to Church), I wasn't surprised to receive the phone call advising me of her death.

Time seems to be suspended in such times, as we went to Kansas and gathered with my brothers and sisters to take care of what needed to be done.

I always thought my Mom would have enjoyed the services. The day was sunny, and the preacher had taken the time to visit with us about her life and our memories, both happy, sad and funny about her life. After the services, there was a lunch and gathering at the Soldier, Kansas hall. My Mom joined my Dad, and her Mother and Father at the Soldier Cemetery.

Soldier, Kansas is one of those unique small towns where, in spite of a population that can't be more than 200 people (the 2000 Census was 122 and I don't really expect it has grown any in the actual City limits) in the actual town, the entire area contributes as a community to maintain a sense of community. Soldier, Kansas has a very well maintained Cemetery, a well maintained City Park and a community center where community groups provide lunch on Memorial Day every year and also for, as in the case of my Mom, relatives and friends attending funeral services and other events.

I remember how happy my Mom was that all seven of us children were able to be together shortly before her death. I am also glad that Aliene had the opportunity to get to know my Mom and my Mom got the opportunity to know her. She was able to attend our wedding and she was very pleased we were getting married.

Reflecting on the last 12 years, I am amazed at how fast 12 years passes. Major life events remind of one of my favorite sayings "The World without End is Ending". Sometimes (even though you know different) you think something will never change, and then it does.

No comments: