Sunday, March 01, 2009

Electronic books?

I have never been a fan of "electronic books", or rather a fan of the concept of electronic books. I love books and enjoy the experience of reading a book.

One of the "apps" on my iPhone offered 50 books (all older books, probably the copyright had expired). For my first attempt at electronic books, I choose "The Red Badge of Courage". I had read it years and years ago and remember that it involved the reader.

So far, I have enjoyed reading The Red Badge of Courage on my iPhone. It is easy to maintain the pace I want and to start and stop. If I need to go back because I missed something, it isn't a problem.

Of course, The Red Badge of Courage may not be a good test for electronic reading, since it involves the reader so fast. Also, I read it in short spurts while I waiting etc. and not as a conscious action to sit down and read for awhile.

I'm trying to keep an open mind about it. I can see some uses for electronic books, but I'm not sure if I am ready to make it my only means of reading.

No comments: