Sunday, March 15, 2009

Composing music

My father, who was a music teacher, would be surprised to find that I have developed in interest in composing music.

I have been working with "Garageband" on composing a song about Lakeland and Spring. I plan on having it completed in the timeframe of March 21 to June 21 (Spring of 2008).

Of course, this is all on the computer, but it is amazingly realistic. I can combine the results of my keyboard with recordings of real instruments etc. to create what I feel is interesting music. I avoid including recorded music for copyright reasons.

I actually got interested in doing this when I posted a slide show on YouTube and it was taken off for "copyright violations". (I had used recorded music for my slide show, not thinking that it could be a violation of the copyright.) I decided I wouldn't take that chance again, and all of the music on Garageband (except for using recorded music) is copyright free.

I try to remember what I learned in grade and high school as I try to remember what note was what. When I played the violin/fiddle (I stopped about 7 years ago due to time and also problems with my fingers), I could read music but I had a hard time "playing by ear". Now I have a problem reading music (for the keyboard), but can "play by ear" very well.

I have a lot of fun with it. I hope to develop some songs and then tie it to my slide shows that I will post to my web site and YouTube.

I have tentatively titled the song "Lakeland in the Spring-2008". In addition to the music, I plan to have some birds singing and thunderstorms in the background as appropriate!

No comments: