Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ready for Spring!

I am ready for a couple of warm days! The type of weather I hate the most is the continued cold like we have been having! I realize that there will be cold weather during the winter, but the kind we have been having is the kind I really hate.

On the other hand, it could have been a lot worse (ice storms etc.), but the one good thing about February is that it means we are closer to Spring and Summer!

Thursday morning, I looked out my back window and saw a number of deer (I counted 4 adults and two baby deer). I hadn't seen any deer for awhile, so I was glad to see them back. I like to watch the birds in the bird feeder. There are an amazing variety of birds.

I had been reading a biography of Abe Lincoln for a number of months (I read it daily at breakfast) and I am in withdrawal. However, I started reading a book about the period from 1815-1848 (Daniel Walker Howe, "What Hath God Wrought, the Transformation of America, 1815-1848), which is interesting and sets up the context for Lincoln's life and times. He pointed out that the telegraph "What Hath God Wrought" did not have a question mark. It was an explanation, not a question, which I found interesting. He also pointed out the essential need for transportation. He noted that, at that time, (1815), it cost as much to move an article 30 miles on land as it did 3,000 miles by the ocean! It makes me feel the Interstate system has been more important than I thought before.

Picking up Aliene today from her visit to her mother. Her "Aunt Aliene" died, and she was her mothers only living sibling, so she spent a week with her.

Another day towards Spring.

No comments: