Wednesday, June 18, 2008

An Interlude

Last week, I stopped to pick up an item.  As I pulled in, I noticed a young woman on the ground in back of a vehicle with a scooter on it.  The thought crossed my mind that she was fixing the scooter. 

As I came out, the woman was still on the ground and waved and asked if I could help her.  The normal thoughts of a "set up" etc. crossed my mind, but I quickly dismissed them.

The young woman was severely disabled and had slipped on the sand and couldn't get up.  A man was there, but couldn't lift her because of her disability prevented the normal method of lifting.

Another man quickly arrived and we lifted her and helped her get into her vehicle.  (She apparently used the vehicle and then used the scooter to get to her location from the vehicle.)

The woman gave us a beautiful smile and thanks.  We looked at each other, I think each of us thinking of her courage and strength in refusing to succumb  to her disability. She obviously continued to live her daily life.  

After she again waved her thanks, we all walked away, having shared of life's interludes.  

No comments: