Saturday, December 15, 2007

Christmas

Christmas activities bring up all kinds of memories of "Christmas Past" and perhaps even "Christmas Future".

Comments from my sister about Christmas reminded me of growing up on a farm when Christmas was waking up early and waiting for my Dad to complete the chores. He always seemed to deliberately take his time, to the frustration of all of us.

Actually, I expect he really did take his time to entend his enjoyment. He grew up in an orphanage (from about the age of 4 or 5) and his Christmas literally was an orange and a chance to visit his sister. (I don't know how much is creative memories and how much is truth, but from what I have read, I expect he was close to the truth and it even might have been more stark than that!

One of my most memorable Christmas memories is walking over to a neighbor's house (it was actually about 3/4 mile, but I remember it as about 1 1/2 miles) and watch a show on tv about Scoorge and the ghosts etc. I left in the dark and ran all of the way home! I vividly remember the show even now.

We would never really start Christmas until my Dad completed the school Christmas program, so our "Christmas" always started late.

Perhaps one of my most enjoyable Christmas experiences was when I was "drafted" as a Santa Claus to deliver presents and food to needly families. I drove around in my Santa constume waving at people and REALLY enjoyed giving the gifts and food and seeing the reaction of the children and adults. Then I came back home and acted as "Santa" to 3 year old daughter-she never recognized me!

Another Christmas-I always look forward to it, but I enjoy the interaction and visiting-pershaps also I still feel a secret little thrill when I open a gift or give a gift I know will be enjoyed! There is nothing better than knowing you have found and given the "perfect gift".

No comments: