Friday, November 02, 2018

2018 Fall November 2 2018


50 degrees this morning.  Walk 34:17 minutes 71% humidity 

Excellent walking weather this morning.  No wind, a 1/8 moon hung in the east.  It actually looked something like a modern easy chair (wasn’t really a crescent moon).  It was cloudless so the moon still put out a lot of light.

Pace was 2 seconds faster than my goal.  A beat is a beat!

As I note the 2nd of every month, another month has passed since we moved.  As I noted when we first moved, the days become months and now the months have become years.  It is now 4 years and 5 months since we moved to this area and 4 years 2 months since I started my current job.  

This morning, I was thinking about how the morning hours from the time I get up until I go to work is “hyper time”, in that time seems to speed by double-time or triple time.  

Now I am beginning to  think time itself is speeding up!  2018 is almost over, and it really seems like ti just started, and I even occasional start the year with a “19”!  

Anyway, it has been an eventful 4 years.  Looking back, prior to the move I can see numerous points at which hour lives could have taken an entirely different path, for better or worse.  We are happy with the path it has taken, if it had taken another path we would have missed out on a lot.

I recently heard some statistics about recycling which surprised me.  Apparently 30% of recycling material people put in recycling bigs is not recyclable and, in some cases,  a non-recyclable item could contaminate an entire load and they have to trash the entire load.  

The study found all kinds of items in recycling, including tires, appliances and even body parts.  (they didn’t say what type).  Hopefully we don’t contribute to it!  (the non-recyclables, not the body parts).  

Ever since I read about the places where they literally take apart old clothes and reuse almost every part, we have tried to recycle almost everything we get rid of rather than throw it away.  

For the first time, I heard a lot of comments on “what do to with leftover Halloween candy”? 

My only question is, what do they mean by “leftover Halloween candy”.  We eat it and there is no such thing as “leftover” Halloween candy!  If we won’t eat it ourselves, we won’t buy it to give it to someone else!

I really have mixed feelings about “trick or treating”.  Fortunately over the years it has evolved to more “treats” rather than “tricks”.

I think it is good for children (and adults for that matter) to dress as something imaginary character and it doesn’t hurt to have a celebration with candy involved.  However, the “trick or treat” concept is too much like extortion, but that is probably taking it a little too far.  

Anyway it is good to see Halloween evolve into something almost positive versus emphasizing the negative aspects.  It has also evolved into almost an adult event as much as a children’s event.  

Soon the “first freeze” will be here, not something I am looking forward too.  I have gradually adjusted to the 50 degree mornings, but am not looking forward to the colder mornings to come in the near future! 


That’s it for now, Friday, November 2, 2018.

No comments: