Thursday, August 02, 2018

2018 Summer August 2 Thursday


70 degrees this morning, 34:22 minute walk.  74% humidity.  

Overall good walk this morning.  Crisp, but not too cold.  

Sitting on patio, nice morning for the patio, little breeze, moon is on my left shoulder still.  I expect it’s position changes as the seasons change.  

Pace was 3 seconds slower than my goal this morning, “close enough” as they say, but my actual goal is about a minute faster than my current goal, so I am really still way off my “actual” goal as compared to my “stated goal”.  

Goals certainly change as you  get older.  Some opportunities simply aren’t there anymore (especially with the oppressive stereotyping and discrimination based on age), but fortunately other opportunities open up and I just need to be open to change.  

I’m not always aware of the new opportunities, but they are there and somehow I need to maintain an open mind for new opportunities.  

I think the difficulty is knowing the difference between an opportunity to grow and an “opportunity” to stagnant in place as they say.  Perhaps the difference is in the eye of the beholder.  

Sometimes I worry about being in a “behavioral/structural rut” and I don’t know is a rut because I am in so deep into the path that I don’t see the other opportunities out there. I think we have avoided that, but then I guess I really wouldn’t know!  

Certainly when I was younger, my biggest fear of aging was the people I saw who were stuck in a routine and habits that gradually imprisoned them, so to speak.  On the other hand, I saw many examples of people who did not become chained to their age, but continued to seek new experiences and learning.  

I remember when I was in my early teens (probably 8th grade or so), I helped a lady who said she was “just waiting to die”.  She was healthy (and probably now I wouldn’t even consider her old), but she was a major influence in my thinking about not letting my habits enslave me as I grew older.  In a way she was a “good example”!

On the other hand, I value and know the comfort and value of “routines” and “positive habits”  and don’t mean in any way to reduce the value of routines that enrich our lives each day. 

Routines and habits are valuable in that they provide some structure in our lives, we just can’t let them take over our lives.  They work for us, not us for them.  

Today marks 4 years and one month since we moved to this area.  Obviously a major change, it still seems like a short time or forever, however I may be looking at it.  Certainly there have been lot of positive aspects to the move.

It also marks 3 years and 11 months in my present job, next month will by 4 years!  How time flies!  While I miss my previous career, I am glad I had the opportunity to have my current job, I throughly enjoy most aspects of it.  


That’s it for now, Thursday, August 2, 2018.

No comments: