Sunday, July 30, 2017

2017 Summer July 30 Sunday

2017 Summer July 30 Sunday

76 degrees this morning, walk 35:06 minutes 

Really actually was cool this morning. Coolish during the walk and almost cold now sitting on the patio.  Well, not really “cold” cold, but very coolish in the night air.  Actually feels good.

Pace was 17 seconds slower than my goal (sigh).  I have a hard time setting a higher goal when I have a hard time meeting the relatively slow goal I have.  Frequently there is as much as almost a 45 second “swing” for one day to the next in my pace.

The pace is “per mile”, so the 45 seconds is “per mile”.  Difficult to understand how my walk could differ that much.

I did learn some things from my error yesterday.  For early readers (before I revised the post),I couldn’t locate the data (time, pace, distance, elevation, heartbeat etc.) from my walk, but I found it. 

I found out I actually had a lot more information from my walking than I realized and I had been using only one page of it.

So I have information on my heartbeat, elevation etc. and trends etc. that I never realized (or cared) I had.  Maybe some day.

I do have a “cardiogram” app that measures my heartbeat all day, my resting heartbeat (41 bpm, resting to about 51 bpm), my average during my walk (about 95 bpm), and my peak (104 to 111 bpm).  Probably means I’m not all that energetic.  There is also a lot of other information. 

Listening to the “Great Course” on the Industrial Revolution always provide me with some new concepts, thoughts for facts.

I had never thought about “part interchangeability” before and how it is so important.  I learned that until about 1890, parts had to be “fitted” by craftsmen who filed, cut and whatever else it took to make parts fit to the final product. 

I assume when repairs were made, they couldn’t just get a part and fit it in like we do (or like we can do if we know what we are doing!).  They would actually have to “fit” the new part.  

On a gun or steam engine (which tended to blow up) that could be a good skill to have!

Colt revolvers almost went bankrupt until the 1849 Gold Rush where everyone was told to bring revolvers.  While the guns were mass-produced, they still needed to have the parts “fitted” for the final product.

Actually, true interchangeability wasn’t perfected until a bicycle manufacturer named (I believe) Pope, Eli Whitney, Singer (sewing machines)  and others in the 1890’s.  

I really hadn’t thought about how interchangeability of parts is, both in the manufacturing process and the repairs later on, but it is absolutely essential  

I see some of the robots work today and obviously they could not do it without interchangeability  tolerances that are probably exact to the millionth of an inch or whatever.  

Also, Samuel Morse (inventor of the Morse Code) was originally a painter, a relatively famous painter and he quit painting in disgust after he didn’t get a contract on the White House.  He went on to invent the actual Morse Code, or actually build on the work of others to standardize it.

His message “What Hath God Wrought” was not a question, but a statement.  


That’s it for now, Sunday, July 30, 2017.

No comments: