Friday, January 06, 2017

2017 Winter January 6 Friday


14 degrees this morning.  Snow on ground, obviously no walk.

Cold weather supposed to be here for today and possibly tomorrow.  Of course now we are wishing we had gone ahead and purchased a small heater for the one bathroom.  Even though the stool is not supposed to freeze, it did and we don’t want to take any chances.

Snow weather like this is kind of a suspended time when you don’t worry about leaving the house, unless you have to go to work and fortunately I have a home office so I don’t need to worry about that.  Of course that also means I miss getting the “snow days” off, but I’ll take that trade!

I’m not sure if I would have walked this morning if it hadn’t snowed, 14 degrees (and 0 degree wind chill) is pretty hard to dress for, especially since it is so rare.  It it was common it would be fairly simple to learn how to dress for it.  

The first of the month in my job is fun because that is when we get the new accounts (we get a few throughout the month also).  It is kind of like getting the mail.  I think it promises something new.

I remember when I was a kid (and this had to be while I was in first through sixth grade), I would walk down to the mailbox and wait for the mail carrier to come.  The mail carrier drove one of the first  Volkswagen “bugs” I have ever seen.  

Of course, we didn’t know, but we assumed he drove it because the rear engine gave better traction on the  muddy roads.  As I have mentioned, the roads out there (by the farm where I grew up) are extremely slick when they get muddy.

Anyway, getting the new accounts is always a sense of anticipation, kind of like getting the mail.  I enjoy the experience and can’t wait to look at them.  

I think “anticipation” is one of the nicer things in life, when you “anticipate”  an experience.  I think it is part of the experience.  

I know someone once who didn’t tell their children they were going to Disney World, they just got up and went.  The father said the children didn’t enjoy it near as much since they didn’t have the time to anticipate the experience and probably mentally prepare for it.

I know I really enjoy the anticipation of going on a trip.  Aliene says in my other life I was probably a travel agent! 

I know if I want to kill several hours, all I need to do is plan a trip and start checking airline schedules and rates, available motels, the weather at the time we are going to be there etc.  

I wonder if there have ever been any study’s on how “anticipation” increases the enjoyment of an experience? I’ll have to check the internet on that!

I know just from my experience, anticipation is a major part of an experience.  
I don’t know if that is true for “things”.  While I enjoyed making a game about getting the Apple Watch, I don’t know if I enjoyed the anticipation of waiting for it! 

I do enjoy the experience of learning to use it, finding out what it does etc.  That is also true of computers, cars etc.  

Anytime I ever get something new like that (that is somewhat complicated), I enjoy the experience of getting to know it. I usually read all the instructions and slowly learn to use it. If I don’t do it  this way, I get frustrated when I try to do to much without enough knowledge, which isn’t good!  So I’ve learned to take my time.  The instructions I find on the Internet help out a lot.


That’s it for now, Friday, January 6, 2017.

No comments: