Thursday, January 05, 2017

2017 Winter January 5 Thursday



23 degrees this morning (felt like 10), Walk 35:21 minutes.  

Pace was considerably slower this morning in my walk, almost a minute more per mile than yesterday.  I expect the cold and the bundling up had some effect, probably just a little hard to get going this morning.  

I am concerned I may have the dreaded “post-nasal drip” which has been problem with me all my life.  That and “cold weather”  (and “exercised induced) asthma  can create problems in the winter.

It is supposed to be snowing, or at least some type of  freezing rain tomorrow morning, so I figured I had to get my exercise done today.

I am always surprised at some of the things I learn listening  to my book on my morning walk. Today I learned that Alexander Graham Bell first used the term “Greenhouse effect”.  I had a hard time believing that and found:

“In 1917 Alexander Graham Bell wrote "[The unchecked burning of fossil fuels] would have a sort of greenhouse effect", and "The net result is the greenhouse becomes a sort of hot-house." Bell went on to also advocate the use of alternate energy sources, such as solar energy.”

I’m not sure why I was surprised.  Over the past few months, I have learned the time from (roughly) the 1880’s through maybe 1911 or so was  time or rapid innovation  and advancement in a number of areas.  

That means the term “Greenhouse Effect” will be 100 years old this year!

This morning I also learned about a science fiction novel where corporations had basically taken over the government and had little regulations on environmental  operations.  (Sound familiar)

In the novel, a disaster occurred due to lack of environmental regulations and the President quickly lied and blamed it on “terrorists”.  Sounds like the likely future to me!

Especially since data checks have proved 70 % of what the lying, bully lunatic says is a lie.  That means 70% of the time when his mouth is moving he is lying.  Not good odds!

I really find it hard to believe that such a lying, bigoted, lunatic is going to be President  What is worse is the persons who suck up to him without question, even trying to excuse his lies and what I consider traitorous behavior.  

As I mentioned “Animal Farm” is here and 1984 is soon to come.  While I can’t recall their names, there are many science fiction stories which are about to come true. 

Hopefully the only consequences are a wasted two years and then people vote the rascals out and get someone in who will stand up to a bully extortionist and then get him out in 4 years if he isn’t impeached or removed for mental illness before that.  Excellent chance of his being  removed, although I don’t know if the alternative is much better.  

So far I have been relatively good about writing “2017” (at least as far as I can remember).  

As far as the cold weather, I just keep thinking “one day at a time” to get through the Winter and the Spring and Summer will eventually come!  

Occasionally I will read a past entry from anything from several months to several years in the past, and I am reminded that everything moves on.  


That’s it for now, Thursday, January 5, 2017. 

No comments: