Sunday, April 28, 2013

Nashville

I recently spent some time in Nashville.

Taking a walk downtown looking for a place to eat.  Inspired by fiddle music, I entered the "Broadway on Second Street".  They had food, so I ordered and listened to "Katie and Mark" play County Western music, at times with the fiddle playing.

Fiddle/violin music for some reason has always had a special attraction for me.  My Mom told me that even when I was a child, I'd stop what I was doing and listen when I heard the violin or fiddle.

I remember attending a small festival in some small city in Kansas years ago (I forgot the name of it) and I watched a fiddle player and I literally got lost in the music.  He noticed my attention and it was like we developed a special bond as he suddenly broke into one of the my favorites, "Orange Blossom Special"  Chills went down my back as I felt myself riding on the music and the fiddler played directly to my attention.

Some time later, I say Jana Jay play fiddle at a Cowboy Hall of Fame festival.  Again, the music moved me to the point that I started taking violin lessons.  I bought many of her albums and to this day I listen, to her music and chills go down my back.

I practiced violin about 10 years (note, I never said I played it!), I finally quit due to some skin problem on my hand and time limitations.

Walking down Nashville streets have a special attraction for me as I hear the fiddle music and want to go in to listen.  I listened to "Katie and Mark" for about an hour as I slowing finished my food.  I found the servers at "Broadway on Second Street" especially attentive and nice.

I feel a little frustrated as I walk down the streets of Nashville, hearing the fiddle music.  While I want to hear the fiddle music, since I don't drink alcoholic beverages for carbonated beverages, and I can only eat so much, my options are limited for listening.  I found very few places offer anything else (such as coffee or bottled water), so I am limited.  Maybe I can ask for a glass of water and give a big tip to listen!

No comments: