Saturday, August 04, 2012

Time Warp


As I approach my 65th birthday, I still have a hard time realizing I will actually be 65 years old.  All my life, I have thought about 2012 being some mythical time when I would be 65 and officially old.  I may be officially old.... but
Of course, I am approaching 65 shortly, and I don't feel old.  Other people might perceive me as old, and in real terms, I will be old, but I hardly think or feel like I thought 65 years old would feel when I was (say) in the seventh grade.
It was five years ago that I wrote that in "ten years I would be 70".  It is almost like a time warp that five years have went by in such a short time!  Certainly the time from when I was in the 8th grade and now is definitely like a time warp.
Fortunately I don't feel any need to act, dress or think "young".  I hope I think, act and dress as I want to and not "young" or "old".  
Unlike my Dad, my views and feelings in many areas have changed significantly and differing from the way older age affects how people perceive the world.  It's not necessarily bad or good, just the way it is.  
Above all, I have tried to keep my thinking and behavior flexible so I can adjust to changing conditions while have a hard backbone of core beliefs that do not change.  I guess only people who know me can advise if I succeeded or not.  
I think the hardest thing about living life is that options close as you get older, normally starting around the mid-thirties.  I  suddenly realize that an option is no longer available and I don't necessarily feel sad about it, but I realize it is what it is.  

No comments: