Tuesday, March 01, 2011

An early "April Fools" from General Mills

GENERAL MILLS GIVES ME AN EARLY APRIL FOOLS!


As a Hot Wheels/Matchbox miniature car collector, I am always on the lookout for them in boxes of cereal etc.


I thought I had hit the jackpot from General Mills when I read an add about a series of 4 such cars. I quickly went to the grocery store and was pleased to see that the cereal (one of each type yet!) was still available. I carefully looked at the box to make sure it was a car “inside the box” and not a coupon to send off etc. Satisfied I quickly bought one of each for my collection.


While I normally eat oatmeal for breakfast, I dutifully started eating the General Mills cereal. As I got to the bottom of the box, I started wondering where the car was.


SURPRISE!! As I got to the bottom of the first box, I read the box again and realized it said “collect all 4 BOXES”!! This, after, suspecting a trick of some sort (I’m ashamed to say I have been burned before), I had carefully reviewed the ad and the boxes of cereal!


I just laughed about the “early April Fool” from General Mills, and vowed never to buy anything from General Mills again, but I do feel sorry for the kids who don’t realize how tricky General Mills ads and cereal boxes are.


At least it was an inexpensive lesson! And I will enjoy the cereal, but after this the other brands will do fine when I decide I want to eat “cold” cereal.

No comments: