Saturday, October 03, 2009

Bird Guilt

Yesterday, I looked out the window and saw several birds hanging around the bird feeding area, including birds sitting on the post that holds the bird feeder.

I immediately felt guilt at not putting the bird feeder out on time. I also felt a little guilt at the thought I had made the birds dependent on me for their food (although I really doubt they are dependent on me for food).

One problem is when I am out of town for several days. Due to a raccoon, possum or other varmint, I have to bring the bird feeder in each night. When I go out of town I have to take the bird feeder in, which leaves the birds without their normal food supply when I am gone.

I have to admit, I haven't seen any starved birds when I get back. However, I always "lose" my birds (and even the squirrels) who had been feeding at the bird feeder.

Just recently, we had developed a following of Golden Finches (known as "the pretty yellow birds") some beautiful blue and red birds, doves etc, and even a woodpecker. They were literally going through a bird feeder full of food every other day.

We were out of town for several days, and, alas, they still haven't come back, even after several weeks. Slowly but surely we are developing a following again, but I always feel guilty about shutting off their food supply when I'm out of town.

I was somewhat relieved last night to talk with some neighbors (not in my specific area, but in the same subdivision) to find they had noticed a sudden increase in birds at their feeder. They are going to be out of town in several weeks, so maybe they will come back to my feeder (at least until I am out of town again!)

No comments: