Thursday, August 06, 2009

I'm how old?!!!

Even though I knew it was coming, it was a little shock to wake up and realize I am 62 years old! Old enough for Social Security! (Although I don't plan on taking advantage of that for hopefully many years!).

Two years ago, I noted that (at the time I was 60), in ten years I would be 70. I am already 20 % there! I am amazed that 2 years went by so fast.

The annual Courter Reunion (which I believe started the same year I was born, so I probably missed the first one!) is always around my birthday, so I have a lot of memories come at the same time!

I noted as the "younger generations" grow older, the Annual Courter Reunion (Courter was my Mothers name), becomes more important as we grow older! I used to make it when I could, now I will do anything possible to make sure I don't miss it . I am glad that my daughter and granddaughters look forward to attending each year so they will have some idea of their relatives and their history.

The Courter Reunion, when it is held in Topeka, Kansas especially brings back memories, since I grew up on a farm near Holton, Kansas, which is 30 miles from Topeka. Also my parents are resting at the Soldier Cemetery, near Holton, Kansas. Topeka, Kansas is the general location since it is a central location, although the Courter Reunion was held in Lakeland several years ago.

This area has a lot of memories, since I lived there from as early as I can remember until I was in the seventh grade. It is a case of things changing a lot, but somehow staying the same.

Of course, everything looks so much smaller than I remember it.

It will be three years before I hit another "important" age (65). To some degree, the Courter Reunion (and my birthday) somehow are like a New Year, I always wonder what is ahead that I will be visiting about at the next Courter Reunion.

I am looking forward with excitement to the future. That is one trait I hope I never lose, the excitement of the future! I think my greatest fear of aging was the fear that I would lose the sense of wonder about the world.



No comments: