Monday, September 24, 2007

Arkansas Walking Stick

Every morning when I walk, I carry my “Arkansas Walking Stick” or a another walking stick (with a name I can’t spell!). They provide a certain comfort as I confront possums, skunks and other early morning critters. Fortunately, they are as surprised by me as I am by them and we each quickly go our own ways. (I go my own way very fast when I see a skunk!)
I got the Arkansas Walking Stick for $5.00 in 1994 just across the Oklahoma Line in Arkansas. (Some friends and I went on the Talihina Drive into Arkansas to a resort called “Queens..” something or other. The other walking stick I got in 1973 at an estate auction of a 93 year old man. Supposedly, the walking stick had been owned by his Great Grandfather. I don’t know how old it really is, but I can guarantee it is 34 years old! I bought it in Wakeeney, Kansas, just after I got out of the Air Force. I couldn’t foresee the future when I bought it but I am sure I would have been amazed if I could have seen the future!
Right after that, I went to Wichita, Kansas and enrolled in Wichita State University to get my M.A. in Political Science. Somehow I have carried that with me all of these years.
I get a certain comfort and sense of balance out of carrying them. The Arkansas Walking Stick is a lot taller. I’m not sure how I make the decision on which one to carry, but the walking stick is as much a part of my walk as the walk itself.
By the way, I recently noticed them for sale for as much as $50, and appeared to be the same ones I paid $5.00 for 13 years ago!

No comments: