Saturday, May 19, 2007

Memorial Day

I always especially remember Memorial Day, probably because when I was a kid, we always went what (to me) was a relatively long trip to the cemetery to visit our ancestors and deceased family members.

The small town where the cemetery was located (Soldier, Kansas) always had a big Memorial Day dinner for the persons visiting the cemetery. They also provided the lunch etc. for funeral services.

My parents both rest at the Soldier, Kansas Cemetery and the residents of Soldier provided the lunch at their funeral services and I still enjoy their Memorial Day lunches when we visit on Memorial Day.

I am still impressed by the dedication of the residents of Soldier, Kansas over all these years where they still provide such a service to visitors.

I think one of the reasons I enjoy being a City Manager so much is that I have some strong memories of the small towns I visited when I was a child and I realize the impact of city services and facilities. In addition to the Memorial Day visits being one of my earliest memories, we were heavy users of the Holton, Kansas library, parks and recreational facilities when we came to town on weekly shopping visits. I still remember how well they were maintained and the true dedication of the librarians and park workers and I hope we leave similar memories for our residents and visitors.

Also, Memorial Day always seemed to have some special events. When I was a child, I loved to LISTEN to the Indy 500. I'd go outside and listen to the entire race and I always had hopes of attending the race sometime. (I did visit the race track several years ago, but I have no desire to watch the race.)

Also, maybe because it was right after school, I always have memories of events around this time. When I was a freshman in college (between my Freshman and Sophomore year), I went to Denver, Colorado to work at Samsonite Corporation making suitcases as a summer job. I didn't have the slightest idea what I was getting into, but it was an enjoyable and educational Summer. I didn't have any idea how to get around in a big City (my Mom actually wrote me a check to use as money until I got my first paycheck-of course, not one would cash it and I ended up sleeping in the streets and bus station for several days) but I learned and it was a fascinating experience.

It was also where I learned to like Tamales. I worked "swing shift" and the on street corners vendors would be selling tamales. On weekend nights, I'd wonder around downtown Denver and eat tamales and watch what I considered the wondrous "big city" life go by.

No comments: