Saturday, May 26, 2007

TEAM OF RIVALS-A super read!

I just finished reading “Team of Rivals” by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It was a fascinating story of Lincoln, his election, selection of his cabinet (including many of his rivals for President). It included the civil war period and his assassination.

At the end, she described the impact of the assassination on his wife, family, cabinet and colleagues and especially the nation in such a moving way I even had tears come to my eyes.

I heard her speak at an International City Managers Association meeting a few years ago and was intrigued by her knowledge and her way of describing history. I read all of her books (Wait Till Next Year, a story about her love of baseball and how her father taught her to love the game; No Ordinary Time, Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II; The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys (which covered the history of the families up to when JFK became President) and Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream.

They are all fascinating, informative books regardless of your political beliefs about the persons involved!

At the conference, she had just finished Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream and she mentioned her book on Lincoln, so I was anxiously awaiting the book.

If you have any interest at all, read Team of Rivals.

I am starting next on “Lincoln and His Generals”. Lincoln was such an amazing man, decided I was going to always be reading something about him. I am also starting Walter Isaacson's book, Einsteen.

I am looking forward to seeing Doris Kearns Goodwin at the ICMA Conference this year. I am hoping I can get her to sign all of my books!

No comments: