Monday, April 22, 2019

2019 Spring April 22 Monday

68 degrees at 3:50 a.m., 70% humidity, wind 18 mph

Beautiful weather yesterday for Easter and other activities.  Temperature up to 83 degrees (I’m not sure of the actual temperature).

Wind has been up for the last couple of days.  I don’t remember the wind being so bad in previous years.  

Aliene and I listened to the book “Where the Crawdads Sing”.  I had avoided it for a long time because it just didn’t sound like a book that would be all that interesting.  

After seeing it on the “bestseller lists” for months, I decided to go ahead and listed to it.  

After a slow start, it turned into an excellent book for about 70 % of the book.  The last 30% was so unrealistic and conflicted so much with the first 70%, we wished we hadn’t bothered to listen to the book.  

I agree with one reviewer that wrote the author started to “write for a movie” the last part of the book and it is completely unrealistic.  

The reviewer said the “ending couldn’t be guessed”.  I agree because  it simply didn’t fit into he rest of the story and wouldn’t have happened.  I’ll make a point to avoid all of her books.  

I did see a number of books that sounded good.  As I mentioned, for some reason I haven’t been reading much fiction after a lifetime of devouring fiction (and non-fiction) at a rate of 1 or 2 books per week, sometimes more.  

It has been slowing for some time, but it seemed that much fiction was either so predicable that it got boring (the “pattern plot” that all the author does is change the names and the locations etc.), or just flat boring.  

I actually was finding that non-fiction is as appealing or more so than fiction.  Their have been exceptions for some of my favorite authors, although I just don’t have the time for it.

Of course, as I have mentioned, I enjoy a trash novel that gets my attention occasionally, or a good novel that is different and gets my attention.  

The latest such book (not a trash novel, but just a good read and story that kept my attention) was the “Day after Oblivion” by Tim Washburn, who also wrote another book I really like “Powerless”.  I actually got caught up in it.  Many years ago I would frequently stay up all night reading a book (on a weekend) and these books are like that, except I hardly stay up all night anymore!  

Anyway, today, I ordered about 8 books from the Library (about 5 were fiction I thought I might be interested in.).  We’ll see.  I have no compunction about stopping a book if I don’t think I’ll like it.  Actually I probably stop about 75% of the books I start and don’t read them.  I figure if I don’t make time for reading something, I don’t want to read it.  If I wanted to read it, I’d make time for it!

I still feel a sense of excitement and anticipation when I pick the books up!


That’s it for now, Monday, April 22, 2019

No comments: