Saturday, October 22, 2011

37 years!



37 years ago (October 21, 1974), I walked into the Liberal, Kansas City Hall to start my first day of what has turned into a municipal career. The City Manager showed me my office (I was impressed I actually got my own office!) and advised me he wanted a grant for improvement of an area of town and to improve housing. (At the time, Liberal had a housing shortage).


The years since then have gone by in a blur. I think a major change has been that many decisions that in the early years I would have agonized over, I started to make almost without thinking, and my instincts and reading of peoples behavior have significantly increased to a point I find amazing (I also don’t say a lot about it). I think that must be one of the major benefits of experience.


Looking back, I find it is difficult to write about. I started working with grant programs for about eight years, when I assumed my first City Manager job, more of a change than you think it would be. My first few years as City Manager, I read and read about different technical aspects of a city, as well as leadership techniques etc. (Now that I think about it, I still do!).


I found most elected officials really are honest and hard working and their major interest is for the community as a whole, not personal interests. I actually saw more elected officials vote against their personal interest at times then I did vote for something that would benefit them.


The most dangerous elected official? The “single purpose” elected official whose only interest is the advancement of a personal idea, concept or group and with no interest in being fair to all parties.


Probably the biggest benefit I have had from my career is knowing and working with many of the persons who served their communities in either elected or appointed positions.


I like to say I played “City Manager” when I was a child and I developed cities with police and fire departments, public works, airfields etc. Of course I didn’t call it that but that is what I was doing.


I realized had found my career when I was asked at a Toastmasters meeting what I would do if I won the lottery or otherwise suddenly had enough money to not work. I thought about it and said I’d go to work the next day and continue to do what I loved.


I know there won’t be another 37 years. I do wish I could start again 37 years ago with what I know now!


I remember after several months I was standing in line in a movie theatre and as I looked around me, I realize that what I did for the city (little as it was) contributed to the daily happiness of the people, I actually felt a chill down my back and tears come to my eyes as I thought about how the City affects the daily lives of it’s residents.


And that is why I am still working for city government for 37 years and, other than wishing I had made better decisions at times (which is how I got experience), I don’t regret spending my career working for cities and I can’t imagine a better career than City Manager.

No comments: