Saturday, April 25, 2009

The death of the printed newspaper?

Recently I heard a prediction that possibly within five years, and surely ten years, there will be no physical newspapers, even in major cities. I expect the five year forecast may well become true based no current trends.

As a lifelong reader of newspapers, I know I will feel a sense of loss when physical newspapers are no longer available.

My love affair with the daily newspaper started when I was in the child and we got the newspapers from a neighbor.

With no TV, I read anything I could and reading the daily newspaper became a lifelong habit in the seventh grade when my Dad told me he was going to cancel the newspaper if I just read the comics every day. I started “faking” reading it, and shortly started reading it for real and I started my lifelong interest in “what is going on”.

I worked on the high school newspaper, as a “stringer” for the local newspaper in high school and my college newspaper and probably would have taken more journalism courses or even majored in journalism if the college I attended had offered such courses. I attribute my love of writing to learning to write stories for the newspaper and the “5 W’s and H” and the KISS principle.

Even today, I read two daily newspapers and three if I have time, which I rarely do. There is something so good about picking up the paper in the morning and sitting down with a cup of coffee and reading the daily newspaper. (I read the second one in the evening, although sometimes it is a really fast read!) I know I spend too much time on it, but it is a good time of day and I have learned that I should enjoy the good times and not feel guilty about enjoying something!

I enjoy reading the “digital” newspapers also, especially when I just want to pick up the latest news, but I will miss the physical newspaper when it is no longer available.

No comments: