Friday, November 21, 2008

Winter memories

A recent comment by Margaret about it being 19 degrees and the kids huddling from the wind reminded me of the Western Kansas (and Oklahoma) wind, something I don’t miss.


The morning after Tonya’s wedding in Hays (I believe October 20), I realized my memories of the wind in Western Kansas were not exaggerated! My memory of walking to class at Fort Hays and just how COLD it was with the wind were true!

Of course, the beautiful sunrises and sunsets almost make up for it. We rarely see a sunset/sunrise out here due to the terrain and trees. Occasionally I’ll see a beautiful sunset over the Mississippi, but otherwise the dark falls in a different manner. It also gets dark out here about an hour earlier than Oklahoma City (and probably about an hour and 1/2 earlier than Western Kansas).


Everytime I see the Mississippi, I think of Huckaberry Finn riding down the Mississippi on a raft. While the Tennessee River is more beautiful, the Mississippi has a character of it’s own and I like to just watch it, and (now, just when “company” comes) ride on the Mississippi.


Everytime we visit Oklahoma City, I am reminded of the colder winters and the wind, although the really bad wind doesn’t start until west of Oklahoma City. A snow in Oklahoma City is usually rain by the time it gets to Memphis (I believe due to the lower altitude), which suits me fine.


However, I was recently complaining about the 31 degree mornings and realized I really didn’t have it that bad!


Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: