Thursday, April 20, 2006

Grand Canyon and "Standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona"

We went to Arizona last week and I finally got to the Grand Canyon, and I found it truly is a GRAND Canyon! We saw a big part of the canyon and enjoyed our drive to the Canyon.

We flew out Wednesday (April 12) and met Aliene’s mother at the Phoenix Airport and drove her to see her sister in Tucson.

Aliene and I then drove to Flagstaff where we stayed in Flagstaff and went to the Grand Canyon Thursday and the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert (as well as “standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona!) on Friday and had a lot of fun. We went out to the Meteor Crater, but didn’t stop when we found it cost $15 apiece to get in! (It wouldn’t have been so bad, except it closed at 5:00 p.m. and it was 4;15 p.m. when we stopped by.) If any of the pictures come out (especially the “standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona”) come out, I’ll try to post them to the web page.

We went down to Tucson Saturday and picked up Aliene’s mother and went back to Phoenix.

It was an enjoyable trip. We discovered there are millions (yes millions and that is putting it lightly) of bugs at the Grand Canyon. Fortunately they didn’t bite! We heard that they will all be gone the next week when the sparrows come! Our white rental car actually looked black with all the bugs on it!

Overall, we enjoyed the Grand Canyon-I always wanted to see it, but we probably won’t go back except with Grandchildren etc.

I had always wanted to see the Petrified Forest since I was a kid-I remember my parents had a small piece of petrified wood, although I don’t know where it came from.

Overall the weather was great, except for Friday, when it was exceptionally windy and rained Friday night (after we were safely at the hotel!).

We barely got back Monday, when I had to go the Nashville for the Tennessee City Managers Conference Wednesday. We were reminded we were in Nashville when we went to a “writers session” at the hotel and suddenly realized it is a Song Writers session, not a “writing” session!

Enjoying the conference. They have some excellent sessions. I’ll be glad to get back to Lakeland though!

I am so glad Spring is here! Our back yard is greening up and it is beautiful to look out.

No comments: